Summer salad recipes to try today
Caroline Del Col
We love to toss together a cool summer salad and when we’re choosing ingredients, we look for the most nutrient-dense ingredients we can. Here are some smart tips when creating yours:
🥗 Choose a green base. Consider starting with spinach or kale. While both are nutrient dense choices, delivering the body vitamin A, C and K, fiber, folate and more, kale will deliver twice as much vitamin C, while spinach has more iron. We always choose organic since it’s always grown without toxic and persistent pesticides or synthetic, petroleum-derived fertilizers.
🥗 Select smart additions. Beets add both a beautiful color, flavor, and are highly nutritious. While they contain nearly every vitamin and mineral, they are especially rich in folate and manganese, as well as nitrates which can help lower blood pressure and increase athletic performance. Roasted chickpeas are also a fun addition, delivering protein and fiber as well as a satisfying crunch that are a smart swap for croutons.
🥗 Throw in some protein. Protein helps keep you satisfied for longer. We love grilled chicken from Applegate, which is committed to animal welfare and never uses antibiotics, synthetic nitrates and other artificial preservatives, or organic tofu from Wildwood, which is pure protein and quick and easy to prepare.
🥗 Dress your salad. Try organic oils and vinegars or use a pre-made dressing made without added sugars, artificial preservatives or gums like those from Primal Kitchen and Chosen Foods.
BEET AND BERRY SALAD WITH RASPBERRY BEET POPPY SEED DRESSING FROM LOVE BEETS
* 5-6 cups greens of choice (arugula, spinach, baby kale)
* 1 cup total mixed berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and/or blackberries)
* 1 package Love Beets Organic Classic Vinegar Marinated Baby Beets, sliced into thin rounds
* ½ cup sliced mini cucumbers
* ⅓ cup feta cheese
* ¼ cup finely chopped pistachios
* 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
* ½ cup fresh or frozen raspberries
* 2-3 Love Beets Organic Classic Vinegar Marinated Baby Beets
* 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
* ½ teaspoon kosher salt
* ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
* 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Add all dressing ingredients except poppy seeds to a blender and blend until smooth. Whisk in poppy seeds.
- Prepare all salad ingredients and add to a large mixing bowl or platter. Drizzle dressing on top and serve.
GREEN GODDESS SALAD FROM EARTHBOUND FARM ORGANIC
- 7 ounces Earthbound Farm Organic Sweet & Crisp Romaine
- 1 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Snap Peas
- 8 pieces Earthbound Farm Organic Broccoli Florets chopped
- 1 cup cooked beets cubed
- 1/4 cup cup organic sunflower seeds
- 6 rainbow radishes thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado cubed
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta (optional)
- Green Goddess Dressing
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayo
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground Black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons water add more or less depending on how thick or thin you like your dressing to be
- 1 medium garlic clove
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth — make sure to taste and add additional salt,black pepper, or other spices to your liking. This dressing will keep well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- In a bowl, add the chopped romaine, snap peas, chopped broccoli, beets, radishes, avocado, sunflower seeds, and feta crumble. Dress the salad with the green goddess dressing – Enjoy
PEAR & BEET SALAD FROM LOVE BEETS
* 1 package of arugula, about 7 oz
* 1 package of White Wine Balsamic Marinated Baby Beets, sliced
* 1 firm Anjou or Barlett pear, thinly sliced
* 1 firm avocado, sliced
* 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
* 1⁄4 cup pomegranate arils
* 2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
* 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
* 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 1 tsp honey
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 tsp salt
* freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Add the arugula, pears, beets, walnuts, and pomegranate to a large mixing bowl. Pour the dressing over the top and gently toss together.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese on top prior to serving. Enjoy! Salad will keep stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days in the fridge.
CRISPY CHICKPEA RADISH SALAD FROM EARTHBOUND FARM ORGANIC
- 5 oz. Earthbound Farm Organic 50/50 greens
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado, cut into wedges
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika Yogurt Dill Dressing:
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Place the chickpeas onto a parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheet and toss with olive oil, sea salt and paprika. Roast chickpeas for 50 minutes, tossing them half way through, until crunchy. You can do this the day before and keep them in an airtight container (they also make for a great snack!)
3. Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Place 50/50 greens on a platter, spread radishes, cucumber and avocado evenly over lettuce. Pour desired amount of dressing over the entire salad. Sprinkle with roasted chickpeas and enjoy!
LOADED GREEK SALAD BOWLS WITH HUMMUS VINAIGRETTE FROM SAFFRON ROAD
- 1 (3-count) package romaine hearts, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 English cucumber, cut into chunks
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Kalamata olives
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 (6-ounce) package Saffron Road Falafel Crunchy Chickpeas
For Hummus Vinaigrette:
- 3 pita breads, cut into wedges
- ½ cup hummus
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of sugar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For Salad: Toss together romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and olives. Divide evenly between bowls. Sprinkle each serving with feta and chickpeas, and drizzle with desired amount of Hummus Vinaigrette. Serve with pita wedges.
- For Hummus Vinaigrette: Whisk together hummus, water, lemon juice, oregano, and sugar until combined. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, and whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
CUCUMBER AND PROSCIUTTO SALAD WITH OLIVES AND PISTACHIOS FROM APPLEGATE
- 4 mini or Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 green apple, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ small red onion or shallot, thinly sliced
- ½ green olives, pitted and torn
- 4 ounces ricotta salata, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) package Applegate Naturals Prosciutto
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios
- Combine the sliced cucumbers, apple, onion, olives and ricotta salata in a large bowl. Add the vinegar, olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and toss gently to combine.
- Tear the prosciutto into bite-sized pieces and scatter over the salad. Sprinkle the pistachios over top and serve at once.
Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple. Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.